Saturday, August 15, 2015

What to Expect When New to Career (Especially with a PhD)

People with a PhD are typically told they have two professional options after graduation: academia (professorship) or industry (business). I have a PhD in Land-use Planning, Management and Design, and I am working in the urban planning and community development "industry". In this environment, the laser-focused research that we are used to doing (in academia) is replaced by collaboration across the spectrum. If you are like me, early in your career (I'm about two years in), it is not unusual, to feel like you are drowning (I'm being dramatic here) from time to time.

Here's what to expect, based on my own experience:


I remember my mentor and academic adviser once told me, after having taught at the university level for 40 years and retired, that:

"a PhD is a certificate that says you are now ready to teach yourself. Learning is a lifelong endeavor but I guess you know that already. The more I learned the more I felt inadequate, so much so that I was even embarrassed. I am glad you like your job." - Dr. Tsai

I'm still back and forth on the path and taking my time to get there. I will be very happy when I hit the coins, just like Super Mario.

Good luck to you, and welcome aboard!

No comments:

Post a Comment