Wednesday, November 26, 2014

"Flow" on both sides of brain: drawing and design vs. handling GIS data

I remember the nights I suddenly woke up in a dream about new thoughts on hand-drawing and illustration techniques. For example, it could be about how to use markers to draw the dry, stiff, cold and rough texture of the surface of a mountain rock. I recall my excitement over this sudden burst of realization about something that is subtle, abstract and even personal about graphic art. To be honest, I would even pull out my sketchbook to journal and document my thoughts, even though they may look silly when I become wide awake the next morning.

These days, what is on my mind are numbers; precisely, GIS data. I wake up in the middle of the night to a realization on how I can sort out data with a new tool command, imagining that through several steps back and forth, it will solve my inquiry that has been puzzling me for days (by the way, I do like instant gratification about being able to solve problems quickly. It doen't always happen though).

Graphic solution and data base solution are different.

Graphic solution (2d or 3d design, architecture, free-hand rendering, urban design): is dynamic, romantic, and one can pursue perfection to the end of the world, no matter you are the artist or a viewer. I love everything about the stimulation it brings to me when I work on a graphic solution, or even simply looking at a good piece of art.

Database solution (I can't say about every database, because I don't know. But I can say this about GIS data): is linear, highly fact/data centric, leaving no room for imagination and estimation. It is also purely problem-solving driven, utilizing hundreds of tools from the software tool box. Every bit of information in the attribute table is the very heart of the database. Data consistency and accuracy decides if the data is usable or useless.

Author's graphic journal.


I found great joy in working with both. That is one thing I love about working long hours and digging deep: the creativity builds the complexity of human mind, and it brings "flow" experience. If you are not already familiar with the concept of "flow", it is the experience when we are completely absorbed in an activity voluntarily. This experience makes us feel great joy, satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment, and we become unconscious about how much time has passed and how people are looking at us.

I believe people and responsibilities are sent to my way for a reason, a good one. For me, being used to graphic thinking and suddenly start working with hundreds and thousands of numbers in GIS database is hard, initially. It can be tedious, exhausting and demanding for uninterrupted stream of thoughts, when I am not very good at it. However, as I get over the learning curve, it is when I start to smell the goodness of a different way of thinking.

I value personal growth along with my professional growth and working with others as a team. I am grateful that I have the opportunity to strengthen both sides of my brain as I work on different job responsibilities.

Two sides of the brain. (Source: online)


One good thing about GIS database is that, it all in the end can be presented on a map, which is a form of visual expression. Oh, it all comes to a full circle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment